Ashwagandha(Amukkira) - Withania somnifera Dunal - Withania Root
Vernacular Name - Asgandh
English Name - Withania Root
Botanical Name - Withania somnifera Dunal
Tamil Name - Amukkira
Malayalam Name - Amukkuram
Health Benefits of Ashwagandha :
- Ashwagandha is often taken with a pungent or heating herb such as ginger to increase its tonic effects.
- The compounds in ashwagandha stimulate the immune system. It can also improve memory and is considered to be an adaptogen.
- Ashwagandha is an herbal medicine that is used to treat arthritis and improve physical energy.
- Ashwagandha is also useful in the treatment of inflammatory conditions, ulcers and scabies.
- Ashwagandha twigs are chewed for cleaning teeth, and the smoke of the plant is inhaled for relief in toothache.
- Ashwagandha is used for treatment of rheumatism, gout, hypertension, cancer and as sex stimulant.
- Ashwagandha is one of the most reputed drugs in Ayurvedic Pharmacopoeia for its tissue building properties.
- Withania somnifera has anti stress and adaptogenic properties, reduces muscle glycogen depletion, hence useful as a general and nervine tonic, useful in stressful situations and insomnia.
- Delaying the process of aging
- Providing iron to the body, useful in anemic condition
- Great support for arthritis
- To treat fatigue of any origin
- Memory booster
- Health supplements for sports fitness
- Anti-stress herb.
Ashwagandha is known as Indian ginseng, and winter cherry.
Ashwagandha has been used for strengthening the body and for helping to prevent disease. Often called Indian Ginseng, Ashwagandha(Withania Somnifera) is an herb that improves the body's ability to maintain physical effort and helps the body adapt to various types of stress. Ashwagandha has been used to treat condition such as fatigue, chronic disease, impotence and waning memory.