Kulanjan - Alpinia galanga Wild Linn - Siamese Ginger
Trade Name : Kulanjan
Vernacular Name : Bara Kulanjan
English Name : Siamese Ginger
Botanical Name : Alpinia galanga Wild Linn
Tamil Name : Perratthei
Malayalam Name : Kol-ingi
Family : Scitaminaceae
Health Benefits of Kulanjan :
- It has Anti-microbial Property, Anti-tumour activity, Anti-ulcer activity, Anabolic effects, Anti-hepatotoxic effect, Useful in various lipid disorders especially atherosclerosis.
- The rhizome is used against rheumatism, bronchial catarrh, bad breath and ulcers whooping colds in children, throat infections, to control incontinence and fever.
- Alpinia species show promise as anti-fungals, hypotensives, enhancers of sperm count and motility.
- Anti-tumor and anti-dementia effects have been observed in rodents.
- Used in dyspepsia, fevers, incontinence of urine and also advocated in diabetes mellitus and said to diminish quantity of urine.
- It is used to destroy bad smell in the mouth and from other parts of body.
- It is used to improve the voice in throat affections.