Myristica Fragrans (Myristicaceae ) - Nutmeg - Mace
Botanical Name :Myristica Fragrans.
Family Name :Myristicaceae.
Tamil Name :Adipalam, Attigam, Jatikkai, Jatimaram, Kosam, Sadi, Sadikkay, Salugam, Samuttirandam, Sidam, Sinevam, Sirugaridam, Jathikai, Catikkay, Catikkai, Catippattiri, Jathikkai, Jadikkay, Saathikkai, Jaathikkai, Saadippaththiri, Sivigaram, Katjathika, Kattuchadi, Periyagattuchadi, Cholai Vengai, Cadikkay, Cadippaddiri, Ainnilam.
Common Name :Nutmeg, Mace.
Sanskrit Name :Asana, Bandhukapushpa, Ghatastha, Jaiphala, Jaji-phalam, Jajipatri, Jati, Jati-phalam, Jjatidala, Koshaka, Madasaunda, Majjasara, Malathi-phalam, Malatiphala, Patri, Phala, Puta, Rajabhogya, Shaluka, Sumanaphala, Aunda.
Hindi Name :Jaepatri, Jaiphal, Jay ka pet, Jayphal, Rampatri, Pathiri.
Malayalam Name :Jati, Jatika, Jatikka, Jatikkamaram, Jatikosam, Jatipatri, Jatiphalam, Surabhi.
Kannada Name :Jaji, Jajikai, Jajikayi, Jajipatri, Jati, Jaayi kaayi, Jaapatre, Jaatheehannu, Pathre, Kanage, Jajee.
Telgu Name :Jaji, Jajikaya, Jajipattiri, Jati, Jatipatri Jatiphalamu, Lavangamu, Jathikaya, Jatiphalamu, Dzajikaya, Jajipattri, Lavanga, Lavangam.
Arabic Name :Jozboya, Joz-ul-taib, Fouzbuva (nut), Jouz-ul-teeb, Jouz bova, Bisbasa, Kaefal, Jaephal, Jawitri.
Persian Name :Jozboya, Fouzboyah (nut), Jjouz bova, Bizbaza.
Medicinal Uses :
Health Benefits of Nutmeg:
1.The powder of nutmeg, about 5 to 15 grams, mixed with apple juice or banana, is used as a specific remedy for diarrhea caused by indigestion of food. The same quantity of nutmeg powder taken with a tablespoon of fresh amla juice thrice daily is effective for indigestion, hiccups and morning sickness. 2. Nutmeg; mixed with a half-boiled egg and honey, makes an excellent sex tonic. It prolongs the duration of the sexual act if taken an hour before intercourse. 3. It has beneficial results in treating dehydration caused by vomiting and diarrhea, particularly in cholera. 4.Using nutmeg on a regular basis this will help relieve joint pain and gout. You can also put five to six drops of nutmeg on a sugar cube or honey and mix with milk and drink throughout the day. If taken daily for four to six weeks joint pain will begin to dissipate. 5. It is also helpful for people with recurring nervous conditions, kidney disorders, and it aids in the prevention of vomiting and nausea. It treats abdominal pain, diarrhea, and even bad breath. 5. The herb is very useful in treating dehydration that is caused by vomiting and diarrhea. A drink that is prepared by soaking half of nutmeg in water and mixed with tender coconut is very much beneficial for curing dehydration. 6. Regular massage with nutmeg oil helps in proper blood circulation which promotes the health of cardiac; It also boosts appetite. 7. Even kidney stones are cured with the help of nutmeg oil. It also helps in healing the infections that is caused because of kidney stones. 8. Insomnia is treated with a simple remedy. You just need to mix powdered nutmeg with the juice of Indian gooseberry and drink it before retiring to bed. It helps you in getting sound sleep. Many times infants cry for no reason in nights. Thus, to put them to sleep just mix one teaspoon of nutmeg powder with one tablespoonful of honey. But do not give it in regular basis and consult doctors before giving it to kids.9. Many women also experience very painful menstrual cramping which nutmeg may help to relieve a good deal. Applying some of the nutmeg oil directly to the area of cramps can provide some greater relief. 10. Nutmeg can also be used as part of a liver cleansing program. It has properties which help the liver to clear toxins from the body, and can help in some cases of liver diseases depending upon the degree of the liver dysfunction.
- One of the main properties of nutmeg is that it’s helpful in stimulating the brain. It provides relief from stress and fuels mental activities as well. It can even boost concentration, as it is supposed to improve blood circulation to brain.
- It is used in small dosages to reduce flatulence [excessive stomach or intestinal gas], aid digestion and improve appetite.
- Nutmeg proves to be an excellent tonic for the cardiovascular system. It increases the blood circulation and stimulates the heart function./li>
- It can help lower blood pressure and sooth a stomach ache as well as stop diarrhea and (in low doses) help to detoxify the body.
- Nutmeg also provides fast relief for diarrhea and toothaches.
- Medically, nutmeg has strong antibacterial properties. It is effective in killing a number of cavity-causing bacteria in the mouth.
- This herb is also very effective in curing liver diseases. Its oil has ability to wash out the toxins from the liver and it is also known as the liver tonic as well.
- Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used to treat joint and muscle pain.
- Nutmeg can help treat and prevent flatulence and is used to relieve stomachaches. It can also help stop diarrhea, improve digestion, encourage appetite, and relieve vomiting.
- It can help with the treatment of arthritis, neuralgia, muscle pain, rheumatism and poor circulation.
- Nutmeg is thought to help improve sexual stamina.
- Nutmeg can also help with respiratory problems such as a cough from the common cold.
- It can break up chest congestion and is used to treat the flu and common cold. Although more research is needed, nutmeg is believed to help in the treatment of asthma.
Nutmeg is one of the essential and most popular herbs which are used to deal with the various health disorders. The nutmeg oil is very beneficial in treating stress pain, heart disorders, blood pressure, menstrual cramps, indigestion, bad breathe and cough. It is also has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic relaxing and bactericide properties. This herb also has other name which is known as Myristica fragrans. This herb is also well known as mace, muskatbaum, and nuez moscada and nux moschata. Nutmeg is the real seed of the approximately egg-shaped and around 20-30mm in length and 15-18 mm in width and generally weighs anywhere between 5 to 10 grams. Nutmeg and mace normally have identical taste qualities, nutmeg usually has a much sweeter taste where as mace has more delicate flavour.Nutmeg is actually the dried seed or kernel of the fruit produced by the nutmeg tree. The tree produces a fruit similar to the apricot, which when it ripens, bursts open to reveal the kernel (nutmeg), which is encased in a scarlet coloured membrane. This membrane is actually the spice mace.
The uses for nutmeg are wellknown since ancient tiems. It is as important herb which is beneficial to us, considered as brain tonic which removes mental stress. Mainly nutmeg is used as sedative. It is used to treat digestive problems and valued as an aphrodisiac. It also combat asthma. Nutmedg is used as detoxifying agent. Whole Nutmeg or Nutmeg oil has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used for treatment of joint pains. Nutmeg oil is used to treat cough, cold, asthma, so it is often used in number of cough syrups.