Nelumbium Speciosum (Nymphaeaceae) - Nelumbo Lutea ( Sacred Water Lotus) - Lotus Root
Botanical Name : Nelumbium Speciosum WILLD.
Family Name : Nymphaeaceae.
Tamil Name : Tamarai, Thamarai, Tamarai-k-kilanku, Centamarai, Ambal, Shivappu-tamarai, Tamarai(red), Tamaray Kalung, Kamalam.
Common Name : Sacred Water Lotus, Sacred Water Lilly, Pink Lotus, Nelumbo Lutea, Lotus Root, Lotus rhizome.
Sanskrit Name : Ambhoruna, Aravinda, Camala, Cuseshaya, Induvara, Kamala, Kamalam, Kokonad, Mabotpala, nalina, Padma, Padmachari, Panceruba, Pankaja, Pushcara, Rajiva, Sabafrapatra, Sarasa, Sarasiruba, Satapatra, Shatapatra, Svetakamala, Tamarasa, Visaprasuna.
Hindi Name : Kanwal.
Malayalam Name : Aravindam.
Kannada Name : Tavare.
Telgu Name : Damara, Erra-tamara, Tamara.
Marathi Name : Kamala.
Persian Names : Nilufer, Nilufu, Beykhneelufir.
Medicinal Uses :
- The rich fibre content of lotus roots stimulates peristalsis and relieves constipation.
- It is one of the ingredients used for a macrobiotic remedy treat colds accompanied by fever or stomach and intestines ailments, such as tuberculosis, asthma, and coughing, for heart disease, and to increase energy and neutralize toxins.
- Effective to prevent or cure chronic fatigue, nervous non-stability, and insomnia.
- Detoxication function for removing Nicotine.
- It makes skin clean and fresh to drink tea made of lotus roots and lotus leaves. Lotus root juice prevents high blood pressure and removes hangover and phlegm.
- Neutralization function to remove various poison.
- In addition it is effective for people who cough a lot, people to get hoarse. Without an reason, it is effective to remove e meditative huhave or to stop nosebleed.
- Effective to cure Lung disease, anemia, melena, beriberi, etc .
- Stops bleeding, breaks up blood stasis - used for many types of bleeding especially due to lung and stomach heat - vomiting blood, coughing blood.
- Good food for curing low blood pressure.
- It also stops diarrhea, clears Heat and improve appetite. Lotus roots contain much iron, vitamins B & C.
- If the plaster compress was applied to the face, it can relieve sinus congestion and inflammation.
Lotus roots have been found to be rich in dietary fiber, vitamin C, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, phosphorus, copper, and manganese, while very low in saturated fat. Lotus root is said to melt mucus accumulation in the body, especially in the respiratory system. Lotus Root Tea is also said to be effective, particularly to relieve coughing. A macrobiotic remedy combining lotus root and kuzu is often used to treat colds accompanied by fever and/or troubled stomach and intestines.
Lotus root has traditionally been used to treat various respiratory problems. Small doses of the juice extracted from raw, finely grated lotus root is prescribed for lung-related ailments, such as tuberculosis, asthma, and coughing, for heart disease, and to increase energy and neutralize toxins.
It also stops diarrhea, clears Heat and improve appetite. Lotus roots contain much iron, vitamins B & C. The rich fibre content of lotus roots stimulates peristalsis and relieves constipation. Drinking 2 to 3 glasses of lotus root juice a day can stop bleeding of the esophagus an stomach, bleeding of the rectum, intestines or stomach, nose bleeding or gum bleeding. Lotus root soup also serves similar purposes. Patients with high fever can drink it cold, while those with steady temperature should drink it warm. Drinking water chestnut juice mixed with pear juice can help clear phlegm while mixing it with grape juice and carrot juice eases dry tongues.